The difference between IGBT and MOSFET is as follows :
Difference Between IGBT and MOSFET
The difference between IGBT and MOSFET are many. However, some of them are as follows:
- Although both IGBT and MOSFET are votlage-controlled devices, IGBT has BJT-like conduction characteristics.
- Terminals of IGBT are known as emitter, collector and gate, whereas MOSFET has gate, source and drain.
- IGBTs are better in power handling than MOSFETs.
- IGBT has PN jucntions. MOSFET does not have these.
- IGBT has lower forward voltage drop compared to MOSFET.
- MOSFETs have higher switching frequencies and hence these are preferred over IGBTs in power supplies like SMPS.