Advantages and Disadvantages of PWM
Communication March 6, 2021
Advantages of PWM
The following are the advantages of PWM:
- Less effect of noise that means it has a very good noise immunity.
- Synchronization between the transmitter and receiver is not essential. (Which is essential in PPM).
- It is possible to reconstruct the PWM signal from a noise, contaminated PWM, as discussed in the detection circuit. Thus, it is possible to separate out signal from noise (which is not possible in PAM)
Disadvantage of PWM
The disadvantages of PWM may be described by under:
- Due to the variable pulse width, the pulses have variable power contents. Hence, the transmission must be powerful enough to handle the maximum width, pulse, though the average power transmitted can be as low as 50% of this maximum power.
- In order to avoid any waveform distortion, the bandwidth required for the PWM communication is large as compared to bandwidth of PAM.