Advantages and Disadvantages of Digital Communication System
In this post, we will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a digital communication system briefly :
- The digital communication systems are simpler and cheaper compared to analog communication systems because of the advances made in the IC technologies.
- In digital communication, the speech, video and other data may be merged and transmitted over a common channel using multiplexing.
- Using data encryption, only permitted receivers may be allowed to detect the transmitted data. This property is of its most importance in military applications.
- Since the transmission is digital and the channel encoding is used, therefore the noise does not accumulate from repeater to repeater in long distance communications.
- Since the transmitted signal is digital in nature, therefore, a large amount of noise interference may be tolerated.
- Since in digital communication, channel coding is used, therefore, the errors may be detected and corrected in the receivers.
- Digital communication is adaptive to other advanced branches of data processing such as digital signal processing, image processing and data compression, etc.
- Due to analog to digital conversion, the data rate becomes high. therefore more transmission bandwidth is required for digital communication.
- Digital communication needs synchronization in case of synchronous modulation.
However, the advantages of digital communication system outweigh its disadvantages.